Re: Pissed & Dissed...Wouldnt You Be???

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Sat Oct 29 2005 - 08:36:44 EDT

On October 29, 2005 08:21 am, "Digger" wrote:
> A mechanic at Don Miller Pontiac/GMC came into my shop
> yesterday.He told me to come outside...
>
> He had bought my former truck(Green Thunder)that had
> been sitting at Schmidts Auto in Madison.I said to
> him,"How could you afford that,they told me the truck
> needed a new or used frame".He said,"Nope,i just
> straightened it.Replaced the ball joints,a new
> radiator,and aligned her up...$1440.00"
>
> Both Don Miller East Body Shop,my personal manager
> "buddy" (whose gonna get reamed),and Schmidts Auto ALL
> said,"IT NEEDS A NEW/USED FRAME..IT CANT BE
> STRAIGHTENED"...
>
> LIARS!!!!!!!!!

Just because he straightened the frame, doesn't mean it was the right thing to
do. He might drive it for another 20 years without any incident, or he might
snap it in half next time he hits a pothole. I'm not an expert, and I have
no idea how badly mangled the frame was. What I do know is this: metal
weakens the more it gets bent. Take a paper clip. "Straighten" it. Bend it
back. Straighten it again. Pretty soon, what happens? It snaps in two.

You think driving around on worn ball joints was bad? How do you think you'd
feel driving around with a weakened frame?

If this other guy wants to take the risk, that's up to him. If you possibly
can, try to get more than one opinion on why the frame couldn't (or
shouldn't) have been straightened before you decide they were lying to you.

"What are the facts? Again and again and again -- what are the facts? Shun
 wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what 'the stars foretell,'
 avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable
 'verdict of history' -- what are the facts, and to how many decimal places?
 You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the
 facts!"
  -- Robert A. Heinlein, "From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long"