Re: Transmissions - I need a little skooling!

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 14:27:11 EST

Terrible Tom said:

> I'm trying to determine what to do for a transmission for Christine. I
> want something that has nothing to do with electronics. I'm also
> going to be doing this on somewhat of a budget so I'm going to do the
> bone yard or donor truck, thing. Which makes my logical choice a 46RH
> transmission right?

Perhaps rebuilding the current transmission you have would be a cheaper
alternative. Why spend the money on a boneyard trans that's of unknown
quality? Odds are that you'd have to rebuild whatever trans you got anyway,
we *do* drive dodges here, and transmissions aren't exactly a Dodge
strongpoint.

You could rebuild your trans for less assuming the majority of your hardparts
are in good condition. A rebuild kit with clutches and stuff isn't all that
expensive. Just take your time and follow the appropriate steps. I bet you
could find an A500 overhaul manual on the cheap...

Here you go, [1] $20 for the book and then it's just the rebuild kit which I
found for ~$100 at this [2] site. (halfway down the page) The kits they sell
look to be pretty complete.

[1] http://www.phoenixhardparts.com/browseproducts/A500-A518-A618-Book.HTML
[2] http://www.transmissioncenter.net/stock_master_rebuild_kits.htm

So, if everything goes to plan, you could rebuild what you've got for under
$150. That's probably about what you'd pay for a boneyard trans of unknown
quality. Why not give it a go? I've rebuilt a trans (Ford AOD) before and
the thing worked on the second attempt, and that was using only my noggin and
a stack of polaroids I'd taken during dissassembly.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com