Re: Transmissions - I need a little skooling!

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 16:25:41 EST

"Josh Battles" <josh.lists@omg-stfu.com> wrote:
: Terrible Tom said:
:>
:> I'm trying to determine what to do for a transmission for Christine. I
:> want something that has nothing to do with electronics. I'm also
:> going to be doing this on somewhat of a budget so I'm going to do the
:> bone yard or donor truck, thing. Which makes my logical choice a 46RH
:> transmission right?

: Perhaps rebuilding the current transmission you have would be a cheaper
: alternative. Why spend the money on a boneyard trans that's of unknown
: quality? Odds are that you'd have to rebuild whatever trans you got anyway,
: we *do* drive dodges here, and transmissions aren't exactly a Dodge
: strongpoint.

   That statement probably requires some qualification. :-) Granted,
Mopar has had some transmission problems over the years (who hasn't?)
but don't forget, this is the same company which created 727s and 833s
that can be bolted to the business end of a HEMI and stand up to daily
abuse. The 727 in particular has attained legendary status due to its
bulletproof reliability. That doesn't necessarily help Tom, unless
he is willing to give up overdrive, but I just felt the need to add
my $.02 lest your statement go unchallenged into the archives. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 67 Coronet, 70 Cuda, 90 Dakota 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dakota | | 96 Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly, 99 Cherokee, 01 Ram 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'