Re: strange trailer wiring with 2002 Quad Cab w/factory 7-pin connector.

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu Nov 03 2005 - 10:12:11 EST

On Thu, November 3, 2005 9:57 am, Miles D. Oliver said:

> I have a strange issue with my 2002 Dakota Quad Cab with regards to
> the factory 7-pin trailer connector.

This may or may not help at all, but they do make testers that you can plug in
to the plug on the truck to see what it's actually doing. That eliminates the
trailer as a variable. If nothing else, you could use it to convince your
mechanic that there really is a problem with the truck and it's not the
trailer (if you were going to take it to a mechanic). Is the truck still
under warranty?

Here's an example of the testers:
http://www.hidden-hitches.com/electrical_testing_equip.htm

One of the RV dealers in your area may have one of these sitting around in
their shop. It might be worth calling a few of them to see if you could
borrow or rent one to check the wiring on your truck.

Sounds like you've got it pretty narrowed down, though, so maybe that's not
useful to you. As far as the signal being inverted, I have no idea. All I
can think is to trace the wires back and make sure none of them are shorting
out anywhere. And check to make sure everything is properly grounded from end
to end. Floating grounds can cause electrical systems to do all kinds of
weird things.