Re: How to go about buying a wrecked truck

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Nov 04 2005 - 11:04:23 EST

Terrible Tom <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:
: Short of getting really lucky and having a customer walk into the store
: tomorrow and tell me he has a totaled Dodge Dakota to sell to me, how
: can one go about locating an entire truck thats been wrecked and someone
: willing to sell it?

Gary Hedlin <superdak@gmail.com> wrote:
: If I were you, and I just wanted something for the ponds, I'ld find 4
: jackstands and start looking for a frame. :) Just use the Johnny Cash
: method and build it a piece at a time! :)

Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
: I'm assuming all you're looking for is a big bunch of spare parts?

   C'mon guys, you've gotta keep your eyes on the ball! ;-) Tom's
looking for a drivetrain to drop into Christine. [See: "Christine's
Plans For Denver (WAS: Transmission Skooling)] As such, he doesn't
need any of the expensive body parts, or need to worry about salvage
titles, etc.

   Tom, as far as finding a wrecked vehicle goes, Jason & Andy's ideas
were good; keep an eye on the swap sheets, newspaper, etc. there's always
a chance something will show up there. Check the online versions too,
like autotrader.com, when I was looking for a dually, I saw many ads on
there from salvage dealers. They were selling complete vehicles, which
had collision damage, had been rolled or flooded, etc. A search for
on-line salvage dealers may be helpful also, so you aren't limiting
yourself to your immediate area. Definitely keep an eye on e-bay also.
You can set up a search there to notify you if any new listings come up.
A google search can turn up some prospects too, for example I just did
a quick search for ["dodge ram" salvage] and came up with a few hits,
a couple of examples from a particular dealer:

  Accident, 4x4 HEMI drivetrain for $3700:
  http://www.londonautosales.net/index.php?fn=catalog.detail&pid=17412

  Theft recovery, 4x4 HEMI drivetrain for $4900:
  http://www.londonautosales.net/index.php?fn=catalog.detail&pid=17311

   Anyway, obviously you need to be careful about what type of damage
you can accept, that first example looks like it was hit pretty hard,
and the engine, PCM, wiring harness, etc. might be questionable. Something
like a theft recovery though should leave the drivetrain in relatively
decent shape. There are a bunch of dealers out there like the one
above, a google search should turn them up.

  Here's a place with a nationwide network of salvage yards where
they will search for the vehicle you are looking for:

http://www.usedcars.com/autoparts/usedcars/locator.shtml

  (Found that one with a google search for "salvage auto dealer")

  Anyhoo, there is a bunch of stuff like that out there, a 'net
search for a place that sells the entire vehicle like this might
be a good way to go. If you buy an entire vehicle, you may be
able to e-bay the parts you don't need to recoup some of the costs.

  Good luck!

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 67 Coronet, 70 Cuda, 90 Dakota 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dakota | | 96 Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly, 99 Cherokee, 01 Ram 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'