How to go about buying a wrecked truck

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu Nov 03 2005 - 23:31:11 EST

Short of getting really lucky and having a customer walk into the store
tomorrow and tell me he has a totaled Dodge Dakota to sell to me, how
can one go about locating an entire truck thats been wrecked and someone
willing to sell it?

I had a few ideas - some obvious - like simply calling up every salvage
yard in the phone book and asking them if they have any... to trying to
contact insurance companies (state farm, allstate, etc) and seeing if I
can buy them from them? Don't know if they do that or not.

I was talking to a couple guys at work and they said good luck trying to
buy a whole salvaged truck - due to red tape and possible greed. (red
tape meaning the legality of selling a car/truck thats branded salvage -
and greed in that I would figure a salvage yard would not want to sell a
  whole truck because they can make more off it as parts.

Anyone with any experience or insight that could lend a few tips?

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine