Re: Front Control Arms

From: Woodruff, Jason P (jason.p.woodruff@boeing.com)
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 20:15:10 EST

If you don't mind learning and maybe having the truck down for a few
days, its not a real difficult DIY project. Get replacement ball joints
(the mentioned Moogs are great). Borrow or buy a cheap ball joint
separator and coil spring compressor.

There's probably a good FAQ somewhere, but here's what I remember when I
had to drill out the bumpstops.
Pull the front wheel, pull the caliper (7mm allen required!), pull the
rotor, pull the shock.

Insert spring compressor, squeeze until the spring is a little loose in
the pocket.

Wedge the ball joint separator fork between the knuckle and lower
control arm. Bang with hammer much harder and much longer than you
expected, it'll pop loose eventually. Pull coil spring. At some point
separate the upper ball joint in the same manner. Unbolt the control
arm to frame bolts (Large Torx sockets required!), remove control arms.

Use a corded drill and healthy drill bit to drill out all the rivets (3
per ball joint?). Use the highest quality hardware (nuts and bolts) you
can get to install the new ball joints.

Install control arm to frame bolts, don't torque. Insert coil spring,
rotate to correct position. Bolt knuckle and ball joints back together,
torque accordingly. Remove spring compressor. Install shock, rotor,
caliper and wheel.

Lower the truck (or get it resting on ramps or something) and torque
down all control arm to frame connections.

Same thing on other side.

Test drive gently feeling for anything loose, alignment will likely be
off. Retorque. Test drive more aggressively, retorque. Get aligned.
In a few hundred miles re-torque.

Jay W
505/287 Dakota
Is there anyway that I can just buy the ball joints and not have to buy
the
entire kit? I really don't have 600+ dollars to blow on these things and
found out that it is not covered under the recall since it is a '99 CC
2WD
5.2L. Please let me know what you think. Advance sells the balls joints
alone, by themselves. Thanks for your time guys!!