Re: Rear end questions

From: Jon (jonram2004@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 20:39:10 EST

Hi Joe,

If the Dak's axles are like the Ram's, (I think they are since my engine and
transmission is the same as yours), the ratios available in '99 were 3.55,
3.92, and 4.10. It's very, very likely that you have the 3.55, since that
was the default, unless you have the Sport package or one of the other gizmo
packages that nets an axle upgrade.

There should be a tag under the hood, but I think that may only have the
axle identification -- probably 9.25" and whatever the order code was.
There's another tag on the axle, but mine was so rusted that I couldn't read
it, so I don't know if that would have the ratio on it.

Since you're talking about the rear, I imagine it wouldn't matter if the
donor were 2wd or 4wd. But that's just a guess, I really don't know any
more than you do about that.

Finally for the ratio, worst-case scenario, go to the dealer, give 'em your
VIN, and have them run your sheet. That's what I did, finally -- eight
pages of junk for a base-model truck, IIRC. :)

-Jon