Re: Rear end questions

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 21:41:11 EST

Joseph A. Orsini wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I've got a '99 with a non LSD rear end. I am looking to find an LSD rear
> end in a junk yard for a direct bolt in. What were the factory ratios and
> is there an easy way to tell the ratios? Also what years will be a direct
> bolt in? Does 2wd or 4wd make a difference? I would guess not but you
> never know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Joe

3.18, 3.55, 3.92. The available ones were different depending on engine
choices, etc. The ratio is usually indicated by a metal tag on one of
the bolts attaching the differential cover.

Any recent model year with the same rear axle (probably 9 1/4 or 8 3/4)
should work. You'd have to find out for sure what the specs are for
things like the rear wheel speed sensor -- I remember that it changed at
some point (I think before '99), but I can't recall exactly when. If
you've got a 4x4, then you obviously need to match your gear ratios. If
not, this might be a good time to change gear ratios if you're so inclined.

To verify what ratio you have now, check for the tag on the diff cover
and also look for the label inside your glove box. It should indicate
what the factory gears were. (You can do the same if you're looking at
donor trucks at the junkyard, assuming someone hasn't pirated the glove
box already) A dealer can also run the VIN of the vehicle and give you
a report of what came on it when it was new.

-Bill