Re: Rear end questions

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Nov 11 2005 - 00:46:43 EST

www.ring-pinion.com - ask google.

> I may go this route and have a shop
> install the new gears and diff unit, any idea on what that would run?

depends on the shop, anywhere from 100 to 400.

> Also
> I am planning on lowering the truck a little, should I do that before
> getting the gears installed so they can adjust the pinion angle?

gear installation has nothing to do with pinion angle. pinion angle is
adjusted by adding shims between the spring mounts and springs or by
cutting off and welding on new perches.

> The more I
> think about it the more I like going this direction, at least I'll
> know the
> posi unit is new and not needing a rebuild and maybe go to 4.11's or
> something.

I'd strongly recommend a new or rebuilt unit over a used one.

> Can the computer ('99) just be reprogrammed to correct for the
> gear change?

your '99 won't need anything changed for a gear change, only for tire
size differences. the RWSS reads off of the carrier, so gears don't
effect the reading.

--
Michael Maskalans   <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
mobile.612.618.4652            home.585.935.7129