Re: RE: winter beaters

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Nov 19 2005 - 02:05:05 EST

Terrible Tom <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:
: sean bruckman wrote:
:> I would check with the DOT in your area to see what
:> kind of salt they use. In my limited understanding,
:> what you see on the road can tell part of the story.
:> Clearly if there are white stains on the road surface
:> along with big white crystals, you have salt.

: Heh - yeah - we use pure salt. Two days after a snow storm, you can go
: out to the road and chisle some of the ground up and put it in your
: dinner table salt shakers.

: Hell with just the little bit of snow we got here now, maybe two - three
: inches at absolute most... the Ram looked like it had been dunked in
: powedered sugar, it was so white from salt.

     You mean like this? :-)

   http://www.dakota-truck.net/meet/TORONTO02/jn20.jpg

   (For those of you who don't know - my Dakota is black... usually.)

  Heck, we can't even plant evergreens beside the road because
the snow plows throw salt on 'em and burn them. If you drive
through this area, you'll see all sorts of arborvitae and shrubs
near the road where a good portion of one side is brown, but only
on the road side. Got salt? ;-)

    What would be neat is if there were some sort of goo you could
spray on the vehicle and it would sort've harden up a bit and
create a protective barrier between the car and the salt. It would
have to be impervious to water of course, except for when springtime
comes when you spray some sort of release agent on it and then
rinse it off. All without harming the clear coat, oh and it should
also leave a shiny coat of wax behind, and you can collect the
runoff and burn it as fuel in your gas tank. Is that really asking
so much? C'mon, throw me a frickin' bone here, people!

: Someone mentioned that they wash their truck in the winter... good
: idea.. but I think the money I would save on so many frequent no-touch
: car washes at the local gas station... would pay for a beater.

   Agreed. In order for that to do any good, you would literally
have to wash down the truck every single day. (Well, every day
that you drove it that is.)

: Guy at
: work just bought an older Toyota Celica, stick shift, black, high miles
: - but in wonderful shape otherwise.. for $700!! EVERYONE seemes to be
: able to get great deals on cars and trucks except me. If I had a dime
: for every time I heard about someone getting a great deal on a car ...
: that maybe needed a little fixup work.. I could buy a damned brand new
: truck!

   I know the feeling. :-) Seems like everyone I run into has a
"found a car in a barn" story. ;-) I guess its one of those
"gotta be in the right place at the right time" kinda deals. I
do actually see a fair number of brand X cars beside the road with
signs on them that say "$300" or "$500", but nothing that interested
me enough to actually stop and look further. Another part of the
problem is that for cheaper cars like that, people probably don't
bother to put an ad in the paper or anything; the classified would
cost more than they're asking for the car. They'd just stick it out
by the road and see what happens. So who knows, you might want to
take the scenic route home from work every so often, and maybe
you'll get lucky?

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 67 Coronet, 70 Cuda, 90 Dakota 'vert, 92 Ram 4x4, 96 Dakota | | 96 Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly, 99 Cherokee, 01 Ram 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'