Re: Do they make a 35 inch tall snow tire? heh

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Sun Nov 20 2005 - 13:55:40 EST

Terrible Tom wrote:

> Michael Maskalans wrote:
>
>> you have too much air in your tires if you're having issues like that, I
>> think. too much pressure isn't going to make them last any longer than
>> too little...
>

> You're the 2nd person to say that. I run them at about 40 PSI - based
> on experiance with my last two sets of tires. when I had the Goodyear
> MT's on there (were on the truck with the factory wheels when I bought
> it), I checked the pressure one highway trip and saw them at 40 and
> thoguht woah - overinflated. so I dropped it down to 35. Checked the
> tire wear at the next rest area and they had already started wearing the
> outer edges pretty bad. Bumped it back up to 40 and the tires wore
> better again.
>
> On the set of BFG's I jsut got rid of this summer, I also ran those at
> 40 PSI and had no problems with them. Those were smaller tires.
>
> I've got 315/70/16... or was it 315/75/16?? on there now - the tire
> footprints are much more curved because of a wider tire on a narrower
> wheel. I suppose I could run them lower PSI and have no problems. I'll
> admit I've been keeping them up that high for better fuel economy. Yeah
> go laugh at that one :-P

Tom, as the resident "wide tire" guy, allow me to help. #1, start
carrying one of those little compressors so you can adjust on the fly.
When you come upon crappy conditions, stop right then and air down. I
typically run 36psi in mine. I bump up to 40 for highway runs. In snow
I am down to 30, and for really icy conditions, down to 15, but I have
been known to change my presure 2-3 times in a day, when the situation
required it.

>> BFG all terrain is a fantastic snow tire, lots of edges to cut into
>> snow/slush for traction and they clean out fine in snow. nothing but
>> studs will help you on ice though.
>

> Snow yeah - ice?? heh like you sai - nothing short of studs will help
> with ice. And ice is exactly what almost sent me into a ditch. There
> was no snow. What happened was the storm started out as rain - turned
> to snow, and then froze to the roads. It would have seemed that the DOT
> trucks had not salted enough.

find an icy parkinglot, air down to 15-20 and just practice. You will
notice more squirm, obviously, but you will be amazed at the traction
you gain

>> you're also overly paranoid about using your 4x4. the place it stresses
>> is the chain in the transfer case, and the support bearings in there.
>> unless you're making tight turns the tire slip you have is plenty to take
>> care of stresses. when you feel it bucking and binding is when it's
>> really a problem.
>

> Yeah I figured you would tell me that heh. Granted - I'll admit the
> bearing I broke happened after I drove christine around in 4Hi for three
> days on dry pavement after a snow storm. heh. Thats also what probably
> ate up my side and spider gears up front :)
>
> Why did I do that? Drove with the 4x4 indicator lights disconnected.
> Forgot it was in gear. I've done dumber things as you all know.
>

>> btw - with regard to you other message about wanting an Atlas, there are
>> *far* cheaper swaps that you can twin stick, like an NP205 that you can
>> score for $75-$250 and adapt to your transmission with parts from Advance
>> Adaptors and just bolt in, I'd bet (though I haven't checked) or you
>> could
>> take a milage hit and get an NP203 for free-$50 since no one wants them,
>> and have fulltime high range-locked high range-nuetral-locked low
>> range.....
>

> Mmm I've wanted one of the cases that are in the Jeeps - that allows for
> 2 hi, 4 hi full time - 4 hi locked - 4 lo locked... I believe thats the
> jeep "Command Trac"? Or was it the Selec-Trac"? Those should mate up
> to the auto trannies shouldnt they? as the Grand Cherokee used the 318
> and the 360.
>

>> MikeM
>> my Dakota has that Jeep thing =(
>

> Ok - elaborate... what does that mean??

heeh, if he tells you he'll have to kill you...