Re: Trans problems...

From: WiLieR[SS] (waffle787@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 27 2005 - 18:38:04 EST

On 11/27/05, TomBuban <tombuban@4wheelair.com> wrote:

> Ok. I have a new trans with about 15,000 miles on it from Dodge. No
> shift kit.
> Was running fine until after I did my motor swap. Had a 318, put a 360
> in. Have a MP performance PCM.
> The trans seems to slip from 2 to 3rd. Its like it cant make up its mind
> what gear t opick. This happens under normal driving, and WOT????
> Will a shift kit take care of this????
> Is it linkage????
>
> Can't seem to figure it out.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Oh yeah its a 98 dakota, 4x4 46Re trans
>
> Thanks
> Tom

Double check the linkage. This is an excellent reference of the
location of the linkage and how it functions:
http://www.jcj.net/dodgeram/trans_adjustment.htm
That doesn't tell you how to factory adjust the linkage however, but
this is how I set my own for "factory" performance:
Park the dak, kill the engine, open the hood and get over the
passenger side fender. Looking over the back of the motor and down the
bellhousing on the drivers side, reach up and twist the tb linkage.
You should see an arm down on the trans moving as you twist the
linkage. Now that you know where it is, using the info on the above
page, adjust the kickdown cable so that the trans linkage moves
exactly with the tb linkage. I usually adjust them back to where the
tb linkage moves and then the trans linkage moves. Once I find that
spot, then I start taking up the slack in the kickdown cable until the
two move together (aka, trans lever is at full rest, tb linkage is at
full rest and both pivot together with no delay between the two, maybe
just a touch on the trans side.). That is adjusted to oe spec. Now you
can begin using above info to tweak your shift points as needed.

If you are still slipping a bit between second and third, try
adjusting the front band. Tighten it down to 72 inch-pounds and then
back off 2-7/8 turns, hold the adjuster in place and tighten down the
lock nut. The main difference between second and third gear is the
front band releases (second gear uses front band, rear clutch, direct
clutch*, overrun clutch*) and the front clutch engages (third uses
front clutch, rear clutch, direct clutch*, overrun clutch*)( * = in od
unit).

Another common problem causer is the governer pressure solenoid. They
usually act up between first and second, sometimes even first second
and third. Usually more obvious going around a corner while
accelerating. But try the linkage adjustment first. If the shifts
are not quite firm enough, take up about 1/8" of slack (a click or
two) in the cable and try again. I don't like to go much more than
1/8" but others have gone to 1/4" and reported no problems, your
mileage may vary.

HTH,
WiLieR