RE: NOW: thermostat WAS: Cap & rotor with brass terminal

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Tue Nov 29 2005 - 14:18:57 EST

On Tue, November 29, 2005 1:19 pm, A. S. said:

> I don't think the problem is due to it being a 180 though....I think it's
> just a bad thermostat.
>
> My check engine light has been on for a while. Everytime I check it I get a
> code about it not reaching operating temp in the right amount of time. So,
> I assume that instead of the t-stat staying closed while the engine warms
> up, it's opened up at least some.

I had something similar when I had a 180 in mine. Bob Tom put it on his
scanner, and it told him that the thermostat was actually opening somewhere
around 167. We figured it was either a defective part or it was starting to
go bad.

I know OBD-I scanners aren't that easy to find. Any way you could use a
thermometer and check the coolant temp after it warms up? (That's probably a
general question to the list, I don't know if that would work or not.)