RE: Re: Which side of the road (was: Bumpers)

From: Mr. Plow (adam_is_mr_plow@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 02 2005 - 23:30:14 EST

I just recently read something about this:
The right side of the road part was supposedly due to Napolean who had a bad
(i think partially paralyzed??) right hand/arm. So, he always wanted to
have his good hand, his left, most readily available to defend himself
against his enemies.
Well, his exploits somewhat co-incided with the American revolution, and the
fight for independence. So, the U.S. adopted driving on the right hand side
to somewhat follow Napolean, but probably largely due to the fact it was
simply another way of thumbing their noses at the Brits.

Then Henry Ford came along and would only make cars with the steering wheel
on the left and most of the world followed, except for England, and then
it's colonial provinces.

The Adam Blaster
Two words, figure it out.....