Re: Speaking of changes in Sig files... (TOM)

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 18:12:49 EST

Jason Bleazard wrote:
> On Tue, December 6, 2005 3:45 pm, Terrible Tom said:
>
>>hehehehe
>

> Congrats! And welcome to The Gen II Club! :-)

Thank you hehehe

> What are your plans for this one?

Well this was to be my parts donor truck for Christine, I bought it for
$600. The trans is dead and the rear axle is bad. The passenger side
wheel walks out of the tube... remember The Axle Snapper from the 03
BBQ? Same side - rear passenger. I'm hoping that its just a busted
C-clip, and that the whole thing didn't go Kablooey.

The truck is a 1995 4x4, green club cab, tan interior -- 155,400 miles
on a 318 that runs real good and have no noise at all. That is why I
bought it. I figured a solid running engine alone was worth $600. A
whole parts truck was a steal. Its equipped with AC, tilt, cruise,
manual locks and the 5x7 sport manual mirrors, a bed cap and sliding
rear windows.

I'm seriously seriously thinking of not taking this truck apart. It
needs some work obviously... but most of it is mechanical. I have yet
to crall all over it and see exactly what shape its in, but heres what I
know is bad:

dead trans (46RH)
busted rear axle (8.25 with 10" drums)
blown brake lines (I think its a drivers side calper hose)
rust hole in passenger side door @ lower front corner (not bad)
drivers side doors is dented (damn I wanted a good set of doors)
missing radio (no bigee)
drivers side mirror is broken (I'll replace them with 6x9s)
broken pass. seat retainer (seat flips forward and wont lock upright)
drivers side floor pan starting to eat through (this seems to be a
problem with these trucks!)

The transfercase might be bad because I cant shift the lever past 4HI...
and I get a grinding when I try and shift the transmission lever through
  its range. The interior needs to be cleaned real good... but thats
not hard.

It has a new front bumper and aftermarket grill (no "dodge" embossed
onto it) and what looks like paint spray on the IFS crossmember.. so it
may have been in an accident... anyone want to run a carfax for me?

The truck came with a few spare parts. There is a front CAD equipped
IFS differental (with hacked off CV axles still attatched) in the bed of
the truck along with what appears to be a NP231 transfer case. The guy
I bought it from also had a spare rear axle and asked me if I wanted it
- I almost said no. Glad I didn't. Its a 5 lug 8.25 Gen I Dakota rear
end with POSI. Wether or not the LSD is still good, I dont know.
Whoever had this truck before me had these spare parts and threw them in
when they sold the truck to the guy I bought it from. The diff cover was
removed and the axle had been sitting outside for what seemed like not
too long a period. There was some surface rust on the ring teeth, but
nothing serious. Whoever had this seemed to now know a damned thing
about axles, because the removed the carrier bearing caps and popped the
bearing loose - before removing the axle shafts.... *der*

So it would seem that they pulled the axles and transfercase out of a
Gen I... this theory is supported by the fact the front diff is a CAD.
I know some Gen II's had them... bu I dont think this came from a Gen II.

Funny thing is - it would take me less effort to get this Gen II road
worthy for Denver, then it would to transplant the whole works into
Christine!

I don't know what to do! I WANT Christine in Denver and then into
Califorina... because she's my baby and I want to be able to say I've
had her coast to coast. But this Gen II would make a better rig, with
the extended cab for easy-to-reach in cab storage... and it already has
a camper shell on the back so I wouldn't need to yank the one off my 2wd
Dak.

Either way I got a great deal on this truck. I do have some parts I
want to get if anyone has them to sell...

I'm looking for drivers and passenger side headlamp bezels (the
turnsignal and side marker assemblies that go around the aero
headlights) The ones on this truck are cracked and not in the best of
shape. I need a GenI/II rear passenger side tail light - non chrome
trim... I smashed it when trying to push it with Christine. I think
Christine got pissed and deliberatly hurt the new truck. Damned jealous
women...

Also need a lower front bumper blas plastic air dam - doesn't matter if
it has fog light holes or not however holes are prefered as I will be
adding lights.

Also need 6x9 chrome manual mirrors. And if anyone has a factory head
unit laying around I'll take one of those. CD player models only.

I want to replace the bucket seats too as they are a bit beat up... but
thats not really that big a priority right now.

All I need now is a Gen III to round out the collection!! hehehe

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine