Re: Diffy Go Boom

From: Gary Hedlin (superdak@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 01:04:03 EST

Terrible Tom wrote:

> http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/bustedstuff1.jpg
> http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/bustedstuff2.jpg
> http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/bustedstuff3.jpg
>
> So much for hope that it was only a broken C-clip.
>
> Looks like the cross pin may have blown a hole in the diff cover too...
> Went to unbolt it and saw a perfect circle hole which looks like it was
> blown out from the inside.
>
> Worst part of it is that it took out the ring and pinion. The passenger
> side sidegear is jammed between the ring and pinion and is locked up
> tight. Tried several prybars and a cheater pipe and I can't free it up.
>
> Is it possible this could have taken out the transmission and/or
> transfer case? I'm thinking the abrupt stop of rotation of the drive
> shaft may have grenaded something else? Wouldn't the torque converter's
> normal slipping action have prevented that kind of collateral damage?

Could be something simple though, I'ld unhook the driveshaft from the
differential and see if the trans even spins the driveshaft. Correct me
if im wrong, but wouldnt the neutral saftey switch kill the engine in
case of an adrupt stoppage?? Plus I think the torque converter would
prevent some damage, if the NSS hadn't kicked in.

Gary Hedlin
05 4.7 SLT
98 3.9 Sport