Re: Diffy Go Boom

From: Gary Hedlin (superdak@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 21:48:23 EST

Josh Battles wrote:

> You're misunderstanding what the neutral safety switch does.
>
> http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_training/training_4.php
>
> Some vehicles are equipped with a neutral safety switch. If the vehicle is in
> gear when the key is turned, the neutral safety switch blocks the signal to
> the batteries, so the engine doesn't start cranking. Otherwise, the vehicle
> could jump forward or backward when the key is turned.

Ok, I stand corrected as far as the neutral saftey switch. But I still
am certian there is some type of failsafe to prevent a catastrophic
event in case of an abrupt stoppage. I remember one time I was at the
strip with the 98 trying to manually shift through the gears, and while
going from 2nd to drive I accidentlly went to far and put it into
reverse. It shut the engine down right then and there. Now what
exactly caused it im not sure, but given the nature of DC'S electronics,
i'm almost sure there's something there.

Gary Hedlin
05 4.7 SLT
98 3.9 Sport