Re: Transmission Question/Intro

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 14:55:25 EST

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Andy Levy wrote:

> On 12/12/05, Craig Faison <cfaison@magpage.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Craig Faison wrote:
> >
> > > '01 Dakota quad cab 2wd, 3.9l auto, 48,500 miles. When the truck is cold
> > > (first 10 minutes of driving or less), and I'm travelling with the OD
> > > locked out, I get a loud "whistling" sound at 53-54 mph. It'll continue as
> > > long as it's held to that speed, but will quit at speeds faster or slower.
> > > It will also quit as soon as the OD is unlocked and the trans shifts.
> >
> > Update:
> >
> > It also does it in OD at 77-78 mph - I didn't have clear road to continue
> > testing, so I only saw that once so far. Truck was fully warm at the time.
>
> What are your engine RPMs in OD at 77-78 MPH, and w/ OD locked out at 53-54 MPH?

My thought as well.

If the RPMs match, my money is on some sort of intake resonance. stock
air filter setup or something else? if stock, try changing your air
filter, if not stock... ummmm... clean your air filter? move it in or out
on it's tube a bit and see if the RPM whistle moves up or down? run your
engine to that RPM sitting in park and see if you hear it. I'd actually
start there if the RPMs happen to match.

that was a bit random. I guess that's what I get for a record number of
posts in a given morning from me anytime recently.

so andy, how's the new job?

--
MikeM
SAS '98 CC