Re: Computer backups

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 01:57:26 EST

Jason Bleazard wrote:
> Actually, running backups to another hard drive is a pretty good way to do it.
> You just have to be careful about how you have it set up and think of what
> kinds of things can cause data loss, and how likely they are, and decide
> whether you want to run the risk. For example, you *could* simply drop a
> second drive in the same machine, which would protect you against drive
> failure and accidental file deletion. But if you get a virus or hacker, then
> it can wipe out your backups just as easily as the rest of your data.

Ok, I'll bite. Hopefully this doesn't jinx me.

At work, when I somehow inherited a large chunk of the IT tasks, we had
an outdated tape backup system that no one really knew how to maintain
anymore. We needed a new backup solution, and one that had more
capacity. I've always hated tapes, so I immediately discounted that option.

For backups of all important systems, we now have a "file server" that's
just for backups. It's got a large internal mirrored RAID array that
synchronizes daily to an external USB 2.0 disk. The external USB disk
gets rotated on a regular basis -- with the "out of rotation"
disk/enclosure being stored in a fire safe. This handles all of our
moderately important data. Super important data is also backed up to an
offsite machine in a colocation facility.

So far, *knock on wood*, it's worked out quite well. We've had one
server disk failure which we recovered from without a hitch. A number
of people have also deleted/lost files which we have also recovered
from. Hard disks are very convenient for backups since 1.) USB 2.0
enclosures are cheap and 2.) Hard disks are SO MUCH FASTER than tapes.
And more reliable. And did I mention faster?