Re: Transmission Question/Intro

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 11:49:26 EST

Craig Faison <cfaison@magpage.com> wrote:

: On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Andy Levy wrote:

:> Yeah I'm starting to head that way myself. The belt's a relatively
:> cheap & fast thing to replace just to check, and if it turns out to
:> not be the problem, you've got a spare handy which is never a bad
:> thing.

: Yep, I always keep a spare belt zip tied somewhere under the hood. I've
: never needed my spare, but someday I might. I need to get one for the
: Dakota anyway, so I'll be doing that soon.

    That sounds like good idea. I'm not sure if under the hood
would be the best place though. Granted, its convenient and out of
the way, but then the spare belt is subject to all of the weather,
heat, etc. that the regular belt is. I'd be tempted to spray the
spare belt down with a generous helping of belt dressing and then
seal it up in a vacuum bag, or at least a couple of ziplock bags,
and then keep it in the cab of the truck somewhere like the glovebox
or an under-seat storage compartment. It would kinda suck to need
your spare belt beside the highway some day only to discover that
it has dry rotted. :-(

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'