Re: Transmission Question/Intro

From: Craig Faison (cfaison@magpage.com)
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 12:05:18 EST

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> That sounds like good idea. I'm not sure if under the hood
> would be the best place though. Granted, its convenient and out of
> the way, but then the spare belt is subject to all of the weather,
> heat, etc. that the regular belt is. I'd be tempted to spray the
> spare belt down with a generous helping of belt dressing and then
> seal it up in a vacuum bag, or at least a couple of ziplock bags,
> and then keep it in the cab of the truck somewhere like the glovebox
> or an under-seat storage compartment. It would kinda suck to need
> your spare belt beside the highway some day only to discover that
> it has dry rotted. :-(

Very good point, and one that I've considered. What I do is when I change
my belt, I zip tie the old one under the hood. Next belt change, I rotate
the spare out too. I've kept an eye on the spare, and it never seems to be
any worse for wear after a year or three under the hood. Keeping it in the
cab is a better idea, but sometimes space is an issue. All of my previous
trucks have been regular cabs, and I like to carry a bunch of stuff, so
the belt has always gone outside. Now that I think about it, the spare is
stuffed in the storage compartment in my wife's van instead of being under
the hood.

Craig