Re: Exhaust patching

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 22:45:27 EST

At 04:27 PM 12/14/05, you wrote:
>Last night I finally found a hole in the tailpipe, just a bit behind
>the muffler.
>Looks like it's about the diameter of a pencil.
>
>Can stuff like this be patched, or is it more effective to try to replace the
>pipe?

If the pipe is not badly rusted, it can be patched and last a fair bit of time.
CTire has muffler cement, exhaust tape and also a kit containing a sheet
of aluminum which can be cut to size and then clamped on a pipe.

Do you remember when Jon replaced my whole exhaust. Well, I was
patching both muffler and a pipe from about April to October and both
were pretty well rusting through with pinholes.

That kit would be just right if there is enough room from hole to muffler.
I would sand the pipe around the hole as clean as possible, cut a piece
of plastic screen (I've got some), put some muffler cement to bond it
in place, wrap cement tape around it and then clamp a sheet of aluminum
over on top. It'll get you through the emission test and, if pipe
hasn't rusted
badly, it'll last a long time.

BTW, if you plan a diy, I probably have everything that you'll need in
the basement. You just need a day or two of decent weather or
use of Jon's lift ;-)

Bob