Re: Computer backups

From: Jason A Banta (jason.banta@louisville.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 15 2005 - 10:58:05 EST

I agree with you about the price still being steep for most home users,
but remember, most home users have no idea how to build a computer from
scratch. The TeraStation gives those with no experience in computers to
buy something that is fairly easy to set up and configure.

While on the subject of backups, remember that if you are using a USB
hard drive attached to your machine (such as the Maxtor One touch) any
environmental damage such as water or fire done to your computer will
more than likely also happen to your backup.

Jason Banta
Technology Manager
School of Public Health and Information Sciences
University of Louisville
502-852-2489

>>> dml@bleazard.net 12/13/2005 8:35:11 PM >>>

On Tue, December 13, 2005 11:03 am, Jason A Banta said:

> For home backups, there are plenty of alternatives out there. The
> prices have come way down in price as of recently also. For
example,
> you can get a Buffalo TeraStation 1TB NAS HD-H1.0TGL/R5 Terabyte for
> under a thousand dollars now.

Nice, but, ummm... I think your definition of "home" budget is a bit
different
from mine :-). I figure 4 250G drives at $90 each is $360 (less than
that
with the rebate deal Josh found), plus about $40 for a controller card
is $400
for 1T unformatted capacity. Put it all in one of the leftover cases
I've
recycled out of the trash pile, and spend about $50 on an old
motherboard, CPU
and memory on eBay, and I'd be good to go. I might even be able to
rescue a
motherboard out of the trash pile as well, although I'm not sure what
the real
math requirements are for RAID5. I keep reading "oh NOES you can't do
RAID on
anything less than dual 3GHz CPUs!!!" but I'm running a RAID1 on a
Duron 850
that never breaks a sweat. I'm aware that RAID5 is more compute
intensive
than RAID1, but I'm not sure exactly how much more.

Anyway, just some ramblings from one of your resident computer
packrats.