Re: Computer backups

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 15 2005 - 13:04:44 EST

On 12/15/05, Jason A Banta <jason.banta@louisville.edu> wrote:
> While on the subject of backups, remember that if you are using a USB
> hard drive attached to your machine (such as the Maxtor One touch) any
> environmental damage such as water or fire done to your computer will
> more than likely also happen to your backup.

Not if you keep the backup drive in a suitable safe, or in a different
physical location, when not in use. I've been taking semi-regular
backups of my photos to my parents' house (maybe only one set a year)
for a couple years now, on CD. If/when I start going the
external-drive backup route, hopefully I can afford a pair, and just
rotate them each time we go out to visit (or when they come out to see
us).