Re: Tranny Questions

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun Dec 18 2005 - 16:37:09 EST

James Calder wrote:

> If I decide to go to a manual in my '96, I may have a automatic doner truck
> to swap a manual into mine and give the doner the auto. I was wondering if
> the wire harness needs to be swapped or are there unused auto tranny wires
> in the manual? I realize the PCM, linkage and associated steering colum
> parts will have to be swapped also.
>
> Why can a slightly modified 46RE (not even using better planitaries) handle
> much more HP then the NV3500?
>
> Any of the Rams or deisel Rams use a tougher manual?
>
> Is the transfercase bypassed completly when in 2HI or can that be a weak
> point in the driveline behind a 408?
>
> So a Keisler Tremec 6 speed is the answer, right? If they run a 75% off
> Christmas special, maybe I'll get one :)
>
> Thanks,
> James

Hmmm - if you are going to have a Gen II donor truck laying around -
lemme know ok? I am interested in picking up some parts. Too bad you
dont have a 46RH, you could solve my tranny problem right there...
'corse I suppose I could swap the manual valve body over. Lemme know if
you have any spare parts left over... now - as for your questions...

I'm not sure why a 46RE/H could handle more power than the NV3500.
Perhaps because more power is lost in the transfer between the engine to
the tranny. (tq converter VS clutch) - you loose a good amout of power
having to spin the fluid in a tq converter... sticks have far less
paracitic power loss in the drive line.

The transfer case still transmits power and will still have bits and
peices moving in it. In 2-hi - whats happening is the chain drive is
not engaged. But the t-case input shaft is still spinning and still
spinning the output shaft - to get power to the rear axle.

As for the NV3500 - its weakness is probably why they decided to drop
that trans in the new trucks, in favor of the getrag 6 speeds...

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine