Re: Computer backups

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Mon Dec 19 2005 - 11:19:27 EST

On Fri, December 16, 2005 2:33 pm, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> "Gabriel A. Couriel" <gcouriel@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> : damn... i've only got about 7gb... how many songs do you have? i've got
> : about 1800.
>

> Yeah, what he said! :-) Are those all songs that you actually
> like, or are you just hoarding every mp3 file you can get just in
> case of nuclear war or something? :-) I've only got a little
> over 19GB of mp3s and around 4700 files, and 2.6GB and 350 files of
> that are archives of a couple of firearms related talk radio shows.
> Maybe I just lead a sheltered existence. :-) I like a wide variety
> of music, but I'm pretty particular about my music, I generally
> don't have a blind devotion to a particular band where I will collect
> all of their songs, I just pick and choose the songs from each group
> that I like, and I probably couldn't even tell you why a particular
> song is "good" or "bad". Heck, I have some songs that I probably
> normally wouldn't bother with except they bring up some sort of
> good memory which has kept them out of the dustbin. :-) Although
> this does get confusing in that my musical tastes change with my
> mood so some songs in my mp3 collection grate on me a bit unless I
> happen to be in a particular mood that matches the song. :-)

I didn't want to clutter the list so I replied offlist to Gabe, it's about
30,000 songs I think. The vast majority of the stuff is ripped (at 320k) off
of my CD collection and the rest is off the net.

> Dakota content: I recently got a portable MP3 player, so I can
> listen to mp3s while I'm mowing the lawn, or when I'm in my Dak.
> (Who am I kidding? Yeah, I do listen to mp3s on it but the REAL
> reason I got it was so I could listen to Gun Talk, Limbaugh,
> Savage, Reagan, Hannity, etc... any time I want.) :-) Its only
> 1GB, but its got the features I need and I was too cheap to pay
> for more capacity or get into any of the mini hard drive thingies
> which seem like they would really suck battery life and have a
> bunch of fiddly bits to break.

I listen to my portable mp3 player in my Dak all the time. My head unit has
an aux input and I've got a line-out for my iPod so I just connect and go.
It's everything I've ever wanted.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com