Re: magnaflow's too loud

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Dec 20 2005 - 01:44:41 EST

On Dec 18, 2005, at 21:34, jldenning@earthlink.net wrote:

> My bud has a 2003 w the v-8 that replaced my 318 (4.7?). He recently
> installed
> a single cat-back magnaflow that dumps behind the right rear. I think
> it's
> 3.5" tubes. It's way too loud on the highway,for him. He called the
> mfg, whom
> recommended adding a resonator behind the magna. Will a resonator
> help? If so,
> any recommnedations on brands. Any other thoughts?

I'm really surprised that he finds the Magnaflow system objectionable.
I put a 3" cat-back Magnaflow 100% stainless system on my truck and it
notably increased my throttle response vs stock, but it wasn't quite as
loud as I'd hoped for. it made idle a bit more throaty, but unless I'm
at wide open throttle it doesn't get loud by any stretch IMO.

But of course this is on a '98 318, an '03 4.7 might be significantly
different. I know they have a very different sound to them, maybe the
magnaflow isn't as effective at muting their tones.

for the record, I didn't notice any change in sound when I cut the last
two feet of tube (along with the last 90* bend and 4" tip) off when I
did my SAS and lift. As opposed to Barry I have never tried putting an
actual coffee can on my exhaust though. I should try that ;) or maybe
a paint can, or a large pail....

   +-- Mike Maskalans ------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
   | '98 Dakota CC 318 4x4 '84 RamCharger 360 4x4 |
   | SFA, 40" Iroks 34" Truxs M/Ts, plow |
   | looking for the right Cummins - 4x4 manual trans CC |
   +------------------ <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/> --+