Re: transmission stuff

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Dec 20 2005 - 08:07:00 EST

Daniel L. Burrows wrote:

> So yea, I need to put a transmission in my 91 3.9 Dakota as my old one
> failed. My old transmission has first and reverse-not good. While it was
> in the process of breaking I only got second and sometimes third when
> the transmission got warmer. When it was cold I only got first and it
> took a few minutes for it to actually shift from park into first. I have
> an old 88 LE with a 3.9 in it and I think I am going to put that
> transmission in there as it is an OD transmission as well. I see no
> reason for it not to fit but maybe I am wrong. Before I do this swap I
> want to make sure I am correct. My thought is that the valve body in the
> transmission is not function. To be for sure there are a few things I
> need to know. Is a 91 3.9 Dakota transmission hydraulic or electronic? I
> always thought it was hydraulic with an electronic over drive. The
> reason I question this is because one person suggested that I put a
> speed sensor in it…. I do know that the speed sensor has a wire harness
> that connects to it but I thought it was for over drive, and that the
> other wire that connects to the transmission was for the neutral safety
> switch. I also recall that in the past, when I was in high school, that
> the speed sensor broke off as something in the road broke it off and the
> transmission still shifted…. Maybe the newer Dakotas have an electronic
> transmission? What do you guys think about all that?

OOOOohhh an oppertunity for me to BASH an A-500 that grenaded! hehehe

That transmission should bolt right in place with no trouble. Its
probably an A-500 - and as we all know - I HATE the A-500. Ok -
anyway.. yeah it should work with no problems. You should have the
electrical connector for the Neutral saftey switch (round three pin
connector) and then the speedometer cable should plug into the speed
sensor which should have an electrical connector. My 89 has this set up
- your 91 should too - and if the 88 has the A-500 OD - it should work
as well. Odds are if your current trans isnt working - its prolly not
the valve body. The clutch material (bands) in these trannys is pretty
weak - compared to other builds... and that usually goes out. Or the
Overdrive unit will fail first and contaminate the fluid causing the
bands in the transmission to puke next.

Gotta get to work !

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine