transmission stuff

From: Daniel L. Burrows (havenx@insightbb.com)
Date: Tue Dec 20 2005 - 02:29:20 EST

So yea, I need to put a transmission in my 91 3.9 Dakota as my old one
failed. My old transmission has first and reverse-not good. While it was
in the process of breaking I only got second and sometimes third when
the transmission got warmer. When it was cold I only got first and it
took a few minutes for it to actually shift from park into first. I have
an old 88 LE with a 3.9 in it and I think I am going to put that
transmission in there as it is an OD transmission as well. I see no
reason for it not to fit but maybe I am wrong. Before I do this swap I
want to make sure I am correct. My thought is that the valve body in the
transmission is not function. To be for sure there are a few things I
need to know. Is a 91 3.9 Dakota transmission hydraulic or electronic? I
always thought it was hydraulic with an electronic over drive. The
reason I question this is because one person suggested that I put a
speed sensor in it…. I do know that the speed sensor has a wire harness
that connects to it but I thought it was for over drive, and that the
other wire that connects to the transmission was for the neutral safety
switch. I also recall that in the past, when I was in high school, that
the speed sensor broke off as something in the road broke it off and the
transmission still shifted…. Maybe the newer Dakotas have an electronic
transmission? What do you guys think about all that?