Re: OT: turbododges AKA: my new winter vehicle

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 11:00:58 EST

The "AKA: my new winter vehicle" caught my eye. I don't know that the roads are
like in your neck of the woods or what your plans are for this car but I felt I
need to give some input.

I have owned at least one turbo mopar continusouly since I took delivery of a
85 Daytona Turbo in May 85. The list also includes an 86 Turbo Z C/S, 89
Daytona Shelby TII and currently an 03 Turbo PT Cruiser GT.

With the exception of the PT Cruiser (which has traction control) these cars
were the worest vehicles I have ever owned for driving in snow and slop, even
worse than a 2wd pick-up with an empty bed. The reason being is the power
characterisitics of the turbo motor make it nearly impossible to maintain
traction in snow and slop. And, when a FWD vehicle looses traction with the
front wheels you loose all control of the vehicle. I can't even count the
number of times I would go into a turn and the front end would break loose and
I would hang on hopping it would gather itself up before hitting something.

After trying all sorts of different tires to help the situation I gave up and
bought my first 4x4 Dakota to drive on the bad days in the winter. My
recomnedation is if you have to drive in snow and slop don't do it with a turbo
FWD drive car.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4