Re: OT: turbododges AKA: my new winter vehicle

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 13:04:33 EST

On Thu, December 22, 2005 10:00 am, david.clement@verizon.net wrote:

> The "AKA: my new winter vehicle" caught my eye. I don't know that the roads
> are
> like in your neck of the woods or what your plans are for this car but I felt
> need to give some input.
>
> I have owned at least one turbo mopar continusouly since I took delivery of a
> 85 Daytona Turbo in May 85. The list also includes an 86 Turbo Z C/S, 89
> Daytona Shelby TII and currently an 03 Turbo PT Cruiser GT.
>
> With the exception of the PT Cruiser (which has traction control) these cars
> were the worest vehicles I have ever owned for driving in snow and slop, even
> worse than a 2wd pick-up with an empty bed. The reason being is the power
> characterisitics of the turbo motor make it nearly impossible to maintain
> traction in snow and slop. And, when a FWD vehicle looses traction with the
> front wheels you loose all control of the vehicle. I can't even count the
> number of times I would go into a turn and the front end would break loose
> and
> I would hang on hopping it would gather itself up before hitting something.
>
> After trying all sorts of different tires to help the situation I gave up and
> bought my first 4x4 Dakota to drive on the bad days in the winter. My
> recomnedation is if you have to drive in snow and slop don't do it with a
> turbo
> FWD drive car.

Thanks for the advice, but I probably should have been more clear in the
subject. It's a NA 2.5L now and will stay that way until sometime over the
summer.

The roads here in Chicagoland aren't too bad in the winter, I've driven FWD
turbo cars in the snow before without problems, maybe they keep the roads
clearer here? You just have to keep your foot out of it, same thing I do
with my 2wd Dak in the snow.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com