Re: RE: Installing an oil pressure gauge and fuel pressure gauge...

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Dec 28 2005 - 19:37:27 EST

"Ray Block" <bpracing@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
:> -----Original Message-----
:> From: Dan Kramarsky
:>
:> 1.) I hate the idiot oil pressure gauge in the dash. Where ( and how )
:> can you install
:> an mechanical oil pressure gauge that mounts in the engine compartment?

: Dan, you can probably install a mechanical gauge in place of the factory
: sending unit. At least on mine with the M1 intake w/egr there is no room
: for an Autometer electrical sending unit. The sender is too big around.
: The mechanical one might be smaller.

   I've never installed an oil pressure sender on this particular motor,
but if clearance is an issue, I would try to work out some sort of arrangement
where an electrical sender can be installed - either by some creative plumbing
with some elbows, nipples, tees, etc. or just run a short length of hard line
or braided stainless to a location where the electrical sender can be attached.

   I'm not a big fan of mechanical pressure gauges installed inside the
cab, because that means oil (or fuel, or whatever) is being routed inside
the cab too. My Barracuda has a mechanical oil pressure gauge, installed
by the previous owner, and it gives me the heebie jeebies. When the line
breaks, I'm practically guaranteed to have 200+ degree oil sprayed all
over my legs, I can kiss the carpeting goodbye, and getting all that oil
out from under the dash so it doesn't keep dripping down isn't going to
be much fun either. It is for all those reasons that I intend to replace
it with an electric gauge as soon as possible. I should have done it
already, but what can I say, I'm a procrastinator. ;-) Now that I've
got the carpet in though, I really need to get to this.

  Plus, routing 18 gauge electrical wire is a heck of a lot easier than
routing 1/8" to 1/4" nylon tube or braided stainless hose. :-)

:> 2.) I also would love to mount a mechanical fuel pressure gauge. I have
:> seen a few done
:> and they are usually mounted at the end of the fuel rails. I guess they
:> drilled and
:> tapped the end of the fuel rail and screwed the gauge right into the rail.
:>
:> Does anyone have any tips on mounting a fuel pressure gauge in our Magnum
:> engines?

: I have an Autometer mechanical fuel pressure gauge with a steel braided line
: that screws into the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Just remove the
: valve. No need to drill or tap anything. They also make remote sensing
: fuel pressure gauges that will still connect at the Schrader valve.

    Yep, I have an electric fuel pressure gauge in my Dak, and I also
used the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Just needed to remove the
valve stem (same procedure as removing a valve stem from a bicycle tire),
and install an adapter.

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'