Re: 3.9L V6 gas mileage/Electric Fan options

From: Eric Hufstedler (mopar@ehuffy.com)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 01:39:43 EST

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:23:46 -0500 Andy Levy wrote:

> On the highway, the fan doesn't matter much anyway. You're
> moving FAR more air through the radiator at 60 MPH than any fan
> you can mount in the engine compartment could ever hope to push.

> When I snapped all the blades off my fan in the mudpit one
> Daktoberfest, I still drove the truck home and the temp. gauge
> stayed pegged at 180 the entire time I was moving - that's
> basically with no fan at all. Sure, it was 55 degrees outside,
> and that helped, but you see my point I hope.

I would have thought the same, but once i was going up hill and
towing a light trailer on a hot day (~100F, maybe ?), oh, and
running the AC. The temperature creeped up until the thermostatic
fan kicked in (roar!), and then the engine cooled off.

So, there was some airflow to be gained.

The truck was only a year or so old, so there weren't any cooling
system issues that i know of.

Eric

--
1974 Valiant 4-door, 318