Re: Installing an oil pressure gauge and fuel pressure gauge...

From: Eric Hufstedler (mopar@ehuffy.com)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 01:46:58 EST

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:21:03 -0800 (PST) Dan Kramarsky wrote:

> 1.) I hate the idiot oil pressure gauge in the dash. Where
> ( and how ) can you install an mechanical oil pressure gauge that
> mounts in the engine compartment? Is it safe to "tee" off from
> the oil pressure sender unit in the back of the engine near the
> distributor?
>
> Any help here would be appreciated. Pictures are even better.

I've always teed off the switch sender. I'm good at looking at the
oil gage, but if the filter sprang a fast (but quiet) leak, the oil
light would probably still be the quickest indicator.

As for pictures, i don't have them for the dak, but in the valiant
i just used normal pipe fittings from home depot to make a tee.

Theoretically, you are not supposed to use teflon tape on the
threads anywhere between the block and the switch sending unit, but
i would think it unlikely to have no metal contact at all. I
can't remember what i did on mine.

Eric

--
1974 Valiant 4-door, 318