Re: Wiki

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Jan 09 2006 - 19:38:40 EST

"Jason Bleazard" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
: Which brings up a related thought I've been mulling over. It occurred to me
: that my blog would have made a pretty effective trip journal, had I taken a
: few minutes each day to update it as we were going. I'm thinking for the
: national meet of setting up a meet blog that'll be editable by anyone in
: attendance, so we can all journal the meet as it happens. If we later decide
: to write up a traditional meet report, that'll make it a whole lot easier to
: remember what happened. And at least we'll have something in the mean time
: while we're waiting on the poor sod who agreed to write up the meet report.
: It would be kind of like how we sometimes try to post updates to the list as
: things are happening, except a blog would keep all of the meet traffic
: organized in one place, would be easier for inexperienced users to read, would
: allow pictures, etc.

: Like I said, just a thought.

   A good one, IMHO. I like the idea a whole lotta much. How would
it work, would there be a web site somewhere that we could pull up
while at the meet and just spew our thoughts/recollections into a
text box then hit submit? (I have exactly zero blog experience. :-)
Actually, I never really got into them because when I first started
to hear about blogs, my only thought was, "what a stupid name". I've
only recently been able to get around that mental roadblock to be
able to see that they might be useful for some things. Even if it
is a stupid name.) ;-) But I digress... :-)

   I've noticed that Tom's daily summaries from the BBQ make it
a heck of a lot easier to remember what exactly happened, and when.
Since its certainly conceivable that not everyone is going to be in
the same place at the same time, giving everyone the ability to
easily weigh in would be pretty cool. (Not to mention the whole
"viewing the same events from different viewpoints" thing.) Probably
wouldn't even need to be password protected or anything, if any
lusers find it and start posting garbage, we could always sort
through it later.

   I also like that the people who aren't at the meet could keep tabs
on what is going on.

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'