Wiki (was: 01 CC 4x4 for sale - Traded In)

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Mon Jan 09 2006 - 15:58:07 EST

On Tue, December 27, 2005 1:17 pm, Andy Levy said:

> Really good point there, Jon - at least with one person being a
> bottleneck, you know when the changes are happening. Recent issues
> with Wikipedia have demonstrated that you really need someone watching
> all the time if the whole world can edit at will.

Well, who says it would need to be editable by anyone? You can set up a wiki
to allow access only to people you decide. I've never set one up, but have
read a bit about them. There are plenty of sites that will host wikis for you
if Jon doesn't want to be bothered setting the software up on his server.
They're designed to handle all of the formatting for you, so that anyone who
can use a word processor can make a wiki page without needing to know anything
about HTML.

Anyway, it was just a thought. Figured it might let people update the FAQ for
you instead of e-mailing you stuff and waiting for you to get around to
formatting it in to a web page and uploading it. Let people help with the
work load instead of just piling it in your inbox.

Which brings up a related thought I've been mulling over. It occurred to me
that my blog would have made a pretty effective trip journal, had I taken a
few minutes each day to update it as we were going. I'm thinking for the
national meet of setting up a meet blog that'll be editable by anyone in
attendance, so we can all journal the meet as it happens. If we later decide
to write up a traditional meet report, that'll make it a whole lot easier to
remember what happened. And at least we'll have something in the mean time
while we're waiting on the poor sod who agreed to write up the meet report.
It would be kind of like how we sometimes try to post updates to the list as
things are happening, except a blog would keep all of the meet traffic
organized in one place, would be easier for inexperienced users to read, would
allow pictures, etc.

Like I said, just a thought.