Re: was:Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 For Sale - Now: Challenger Concept

From: Aaron Wyse (awyse@sw.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 10 2006 - 23:11:59 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Terrible Tom" <SilverEightynine@aol.com>
To: <dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 7:28 PM
Subject: Re: DML: was:Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 For Sale - Now: Challenger Concept

> Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com wrote:
> > In article <43C2F87A.7040703@aol.com>, SilverEightynine@aol.com
(Terrible Tom)

> I am aware that they are planning a platform change to the line - I read
> 2010, according to Feb. issue of Motor Trend:
>
> A 2010 model year platform change puts a potential Challenger on the
> road in 2009. Motor Trend did not site the source of that info... and I
> have been hearing different timeframes from different sources. Car and
> Driver and Edmunds both predict different possible launch dates.

We were informed at a corporate sales seminar.. "To expect the Challenger to
be built; they're trying to speed up the release; we're expecting it as
early as this fall.

> > The concept car has a carbon fiber body (not just the hood as some have
> > reported). I would assume that may change if it were to go to
production.

> heh - yeah - I don't expect to see a carbon fiber body make production :)

We didn't bother discussing the body construction; beyond the part of the
platform redesing is primarily being done to accomodate a manual
transmission.

> > This car has a very high body line
> > compared to everything else they have. In a day where even some minivans
have
> > some sort of ground effects package, that's going to be messed with for
sure.
> > How much will depend on how well the car performs in a wind tunnel.
>

> > But I would assume they will want a rear wheel drive, Hemi/6-speed to
stick at high speeds.
> > I recall my old 70 Challenger got a little bit squirlly feeling at high
speeds
> > with a little cross wind.
>
> Yup - initial reports said that the cars top speed was limited by
> aerodynamic drag. So yup, I can see them making some body line changes
> to increase stability. WHen you look at the 300 and the Charger, who
> also have blunt nose front ends... it makes you wonder how they were
> made aerodynamically functional. The 300 in particular. The Challenger
> (concept and original) has the headlights and grill protruding out and
> the lower fascia sloaping back into the car. This alone is a bad
> starting point for a car aerodynamically... as it promotes front end
> lift and decreases stability.

The Charger and 300 are basically as aerodynamic as a brick. and yet neither
has allowed that to handicap the high speed capabilities. I've heard of a
mechanically stock R/T running over 148mph ( was run before speed limiters
were programmed into them) and an SRT-8 300 at over 160mph doing high speed
testing.
Few Chrysler performance products have had the luxury of exceptional
aerodynamics over the years. We've always just done it with sheer brute
force and raw power.

> > I also noted that the rear taillight is illuminated by diffuse neon in
the
> > concept. That will most likely change for DOT compliance. Personally, I
> > thought they missed the mark with the taillight anyhow. The Concept
drew
> > heavily on the 70 model in design and the 70 had the reverse lamp
mounted in
> > the center of the lamp assembly. Not that I don't like what they did
there,
> > Guess I'm just I'm a purest.
>
> I hope they go with an LED style tail light. Neon has been used before
> but its not as reliable and much more expencive to maintain. As for the
> design - naa I think its perfect. We want this car to have some
> distinguishing marks from the original afterall :D
>

> > I expect it were to get approved, the final production unit will be
quite
> > different than what we see now. I just hope it doesn't get too
Daimlerized.