Re: was:Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 For Sale - Now: Challenger Concept

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jan 10 2006 - 20:28:08 EST

Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com wrote:

> Me Too, if they produce it and don't molest the design too much.
>
> Keep in mind though, at this point in time, the Challenger is still just a
> concept car. While rumors are running wild, there is no official word yet of
> it becoming a production car. Plus, if it does actually become a production
> car, I expect they will change the design some.

I know its still a concept model - but as far as I'm concerned - the
more interest thats generated and the more people that say "I will buy
one of those" - upps the chances it will be built.

I am aware that they are planning a platform change to the line - I read
2010, according to Feb. issue of Motor Trend:

"Can Chrysler build this new-era Challenger? Yes. It's based on a lot of
existing hardware. Will it? Thats a tougher call. But we do know
Chrysler's LX platform cars will be switched to an updated rear-drive
platforme (codenamed LY) for the 2010 model year, which makes the
decision to spin off a Challenger variant more cost effective because
tooling for things like wheelbase changes can be factored into the
overall program."

A 2010 model year platform change puts a potential Challenger on the
road in 2009. Motor Trend did not site the source of that info... and I
have been hearing different timeframes from different sources. Car and
Driver and Edmunds both predict different possible launch dates.

> The concept car has a carbon fiber body (not just the hood as some have
> reported). I would assume that may change if it were to go to production.

heh - yeah - I don't expect to see a carbon fiber body make production :)

> This car has a very high body line
> compared to everything else they have. In a day where even some minivans have
> some sort of ground effects package, that's going to be messed with for sure.
> How much will depend on how well the car performs in a wind tunnel.

> But I would assume they will want a rear wheel drive, Hemi/6-speed to stick at high speeds.
> I recall my old 70 Challenger got a little bit squirlly feeling at high speeds
> with a little cross wind.

Yup - initial reports said that the cars top speed was limited by
aerodynamic drag. So yup, I can see them making some body line changes
to increase stability. WHen you look at the 300 and the Charger, who
also have blunt nose front ends... it makes you wonder how they were
made aerodynamically functional. The 300 in particular. The Challenger
(concept and original) has the headlights and grill protruding out and
the lower fascia sloaping back into the car. This alone is a bad
starting point for a car aerodynamically... as it promotes front end
lift and decreases stability.

> I also noted that the rear taillight is illuminated by diffuse neon in the
> concept. That will most likely change for DOT compliance. Personally, I
> thought they missed the mark with the taillight anyhow. The Concept drew
> heavily on the 70 model in design and the 70 had the reverse lamp mounted in
> the center of the lamp assembly. Not that I don't like what they did there,
> Guess I'm just I'm a purest.

I hope they go with an LED style tail light. Neon has been used before
but its not as reliable and much more expencive to maintain. As for the
design - naa I think its perfect. We want this car to have some
distinguishing marks from the original afterall :D

> I expect it were to get approved, the final production unit will be quite
> different than what we see now. I just hope it doesn't get too Daimlerized.
>
> Walt

Agreed on both points - I don't expect the car to look the same if it
goes to production...but its gotta stay as true to the concept as
possible inorder for me to run out and buy one. As you said - lets hope
they don't futz around with it too much. Its damned near perfect the
way it is.

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine