Transmission shift kit recommendations

From: Pindell, Tim (TPindell@otterbein.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 12:46:09 EST

Fellas:
  When I first bought the truck, the smooth shifts of the 46RH were a
nice departure from having to row the 'box myself, but now I've grown
tired of what has become the mush-o-matic. I think the transmission is
working properly, but I want shifts to be a bit more definitive, perhaps
even snappy. I adjusted the bands recently as instructed in the FSM.
They were loose, but the adjustment didn't seem to make a difference in
shift quality. The TV cable seems to be in correct order as well. This
brings me to my point: shift kits. Which one is "better"? It looks
like there are two major manufacturers of shift kits for these units
with a great disparity in price: B&M has a kit for about $55 and TransGo
has a kit for about $110. I've found a walkthrough for the 46rh TransGo
kit and it doesn't look too difficult, but it requires minor
modification of the valve body. I haven't found any info regarding B&M
kit walkthroughs, however, from the contents of the kit, it appears that
the installation requires a relatively simple replacement of the valve
body separator plate and a few springs. I've got tools and I'm not
afraid to use 'em.

I value the collective input. Which kit is the "better" of the two? Are
there others that I should consider? Do the claims of increased
frictional surface life stand up to practical use? Do any of these kits
take cheesy shortcuts to achieve the performance? Does anybody have an
extra functional 46RH valve body lying around that they'd be willing to
part with? I'd rather spend the little extra money and do it right or
simply not do it at all.

Tim