Re: Transmission shift kit recommendations

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 10:17:14 EST

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Pindell, Tim wrote:

> Fellas:
> I want shifts to be a bit more definitive, perhaps
> even snappy. I adjusted the bands recently as instructed in the FSM.
> They were loose, but the adjustment didn't seem to make a difference in
> shift quality.

I wouldn't really expect it to. Adjusting the bands will tighten up
shifting and take care of "hunting" around the shift points, from my
expieience. Generally tighten up the whole transmission exprience, not
the shift points.

> The TV cable seems to be in correct order as well.

as far as I know, TV adjustment will change your shift points but not
affect their quality.

> This
> brings me to my point: shift kits. Which one is "better"?

I've got the TransGo in my truck (and a spare one that was intended for my
RamCharger but hasn't made it that far yet and is, I suppose, for sale)
and it made worlds of difference. I have no expirience whatsoever with
the B&M so I've got nothing to compare to.

Installation was straightforward. As long as you're not intimidated by
tranny guts, the actual instructions are very easy to accomplish. Just a
little messy thanks to all the ATF involved.

> Do the claims of increased
> frictional surface life stand up to practical use?

Tough to say. you'd need two identical trucks with the same driver and a
couple hundred thousand miles to really say. All I know is that I had
92,000 on my truck when I did the shift kit and have put on a little more
than 40,000 since, almost 20,000 of those since my solid axle swap with
some serious wheeling in some undergeared situations, and my pan temp
rarely climbs above 130*, and the one time it did get "hot" (about 175*)
my engine was overheating as well. (hot day, slowly turning tires and
going nowhere in a wash with almost no air movement)

All the advice I really have to offer is that I'd do it again. If you're
looking for firmer shifts, I'd definitely say this will get you what
you're going after.

--
  +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
  | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |