Another Man Bonding with His DAK story (sorta long)

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 23:25:14 EST

Hey, DML!
Well, just spent a wonderful weekend (PLUS!) bonding with the DAKSY
(again)...
Had the pinion bearings in the rear end replaced a coupla months ago, & the
mech
tole me that the rear brake shoes were due for replacement (OEM - 114+K)..
So, WTF, I grabbed a set of shoes from NAPA & geared myself up to tackle
the task last Saturday after my weekly dump run...
She was due for an oil change, too, so I did that first...
Rolled her off the ramps & blocked the wheels
Jacked up the rear end with the toy scissors jack from under the
rear seat & my big ole 3-ton floor jack...
Stuck a coupla jack stands underneath for safety's sake & tried to pull the
wheels...
*sheeesh* the idiots at Sears who put the new sneaks on musta had their
torque wrench
set for 85n-m instead of 85lbs-ft! I hadda JUMP on a 24" breaker bar with a
heavy-duty
impact socket on the end the break the damn lugs free...
So I get the lug & wheels off & try to pull off the drums...Yeah...right...
OK, I try to hammer off the drums with my big ole lead
hammer...Yeah...right...
I hadda collapse the adjusters COMPLETELY & then use the BFLH!
THAT got em off!
Shoes still had a bit of stoppage left, but the drums were worn deep - 1/8"
or more...
So I tear down the driver side - leaving the passenger side intact as a
guide - the way I was taught -
 & start the reassembly....
UH-OH! the NAPA shoes are just a tad (2" diametral) too big...
So I grab Susan's Blazer & cruise to NAPA, about 4-1/2 miles away & switch
the
11s for 9s & head home...
The 50 degree temps have now turned to 50 deg & rainy but HEY I've got the
right shoes
Let's do this!
So the reassembly starts & I get through to the install the shoe-to-shoe
spring & it freekin snaps...
Back to NAPA for a $6.99 spring set that I shoulda bought in the first
place...
While I'm there, I decide to go for drums - IF they have them - & they
do...($57ea)...
So I head home & by now it's really pouring & it's getting dark & I figger -
screw it -
I have EVERYTHING I need - I'll finish tomorrow (Sunday)...
So, I pick up everything & toss it in the garage...
Fast forward to Sunday AM & the pouring rain turned to blizzard!
Great...
Throw the Carhartts on & the snowblower starts with the first pull...
Good...1/2 hr & I'll be back to work on the brakes...
Bad...I get the shoe-to-shoe spring in & WTF?!?!?!? Where the HELL is the
Anchor Plate???
You know - the litle tee-shaped thingie that keeps the shoes seated against
the back plate & goes on before the adjuster cable & the upper springs...
Not there...Not in the garage...I drag a BIG magnet all around the driveway
& it's not there either...
OK...BACK to NAPA...the guy finally figgers out what I need & says he can't
get it...
Advance Auto - Can't get it...DEALER ITEM!
Doo-Doo!
I call my bud who's a parts mgr at Clifton Park Dodge World & he says to
call him Monday at work, he might have one...
Great...
So I watch football & do x-word puzzles & basically loaf thru Sunday...
Monday AM, I hafta work new CPDW, so I drop in on him & he checks his puter
& brings out a coupla
bags of misc. parts & NOT!
He manages to find a couple in Massachussetts & orders them for me ($2.25
ea)...
So...
Tuesday he calls me & they're in...
I get a ride home from work with a bud & get right into it...
Put the new Anchor Plate on & the adjuster & the new springs in and...
Yep...there it is, laying right in front of me...the damn OEM ANCHOR
PLATE...ARRRRRRRRGH!
Oh, well...two hours later I've got the new drums on & the tires
rotated...& the shoes adjusted...
AND MY FLOOR JACK'S HYDRAULICS HAVE FROZEN & IT WON'T GO DOWN!
Ok...no prob...I lower the toy jack & move it to the other side & lift the
rear end higher than the floor jack & pull the floor jack out...& the
freekin thing goes down! UNBELIEVABLE!
Anyhoo, I drop her down...torque all the lugnuts to 85lbs-ft & climb in
I step on the brakes & WE GOT PEDAL!
YEAH, BAYBEE!
Took her for a spin & we are back in action!
Now it sounds like the bearing in the alternator is gonna crap out & Get
This...the OEM HD alternator is $410!
Reman is $140, so I grabbed that & a new serp belt & if bearing sh*ts the
bed I'm ready for another bonding (bondage?)
fiasco!
L8r,

Bob Smith (DAKSY2K on AIM)
2K DAK SY Sport + V6 4X4 5Speed