RE: Where do you put the booster box?

From: Rick Barnes (rascal@scrtc.com)
Date: Wed Jan 25 2006 - 23:46:28 EST

This is so weird that this has come up. I have two of these jumper things.
One is a Coleman, kinda small, I keep it in my wife's Liberty, the other is
an older Prestone its huge, I keep it in my Dak. I have jumped so many cars
with that big one and just her Jeep with the Coleman. Both of our cars have
Optima Red Tops, just love them. Yesterday, she went out to the Jeep and it
was totally dead. No prob...I grab the little Coleman, but no dice, it was
a little weak and that Red Top was d-e-a-d...I grab my big unit...nope, just
barely would turn the Jeep over. So, I have her take my truck,
(scaryyyyy)...ahem..anyways, I grab my new slick solid state charger and
hook up the Red Top....it clicks for a while then shuts off, refuses to
charge the Optima. Hmm...what the heck, that is one dead battery. I grab
my old Craftsman charger and hook it up. I put it on slow charge and it is
clicking off and on...not liking it one bit. Meanwhile, I plug in both
jumper things to recharge them up. I check on the Jeep, its still not
charging well so I crank up the Craftsman to 10 amps...that works it up a
bit...I leave it one that rate for about an hour. Now, inside lights are
starting to work, so I put the solid state charger back on, set it to 4 amps
and now its trying to work. 15 hours later, the Red Top is back. I let it
sit a while and checked it again, still good. I had to start the Liberty
and the computer had to relearn idle, and I took it out for a drive....like
a new car. I check the Red Top again 4 hours later and still good and hot.
Man, nothing like those batteries. I dunno what the heck we left on, only
thing I could see was a radar detector for about 4 days...so. I just sat
the jumper box things right on top of the big old fuse box by the battery,
those cables are really short.

That's my story and I am sticking to it...

Rascal