Re: Satellite radio

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 26 2006 - 09:37:06 EST

On 1/25/06, Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:

> Andy Levy wrote:
> >
> > I'm not even sure the stereo receives FM and AM :)
>
> Oh, right, you replaced the whole head unit. We got one of the portable
> ones.

Yeah, I went all the way. Didn't want an FM modulator and had no
Aux-In on the OEM Subaru stereo. Plus I had no good place to put the
tuner/controller if I did one of the "external" ones.

> Once we managed to get the wires tucked out of the way it's not
> too bad. I kind of thought we might be able to move it back and forth
> from one truck to the other, but Norah's not letting it go :-). I'll
> have to get a second one if I want to use it in the other truck. If I
> were going to spend the money, I'd probably upgrade the head unit to
> something that'll play MP3 CDs as well.

Yeah, the MP3 feature is nice too. The second XM unit on your account
should only be $6 or $7 (US) per month instead of having to buy 2
full-on subscriptions.

> > Stern's getting better every day,
>
> I'm glad you enjoy the show. I tried to listen to him a few times, but
> couldn't ever understand the appeal. To each their own. Canadian radio
> isn't heavily censored to begin with, so he seemed to have been met with
> a collective yawn on this side of the border. No controversy at all,
> just nobody interested. <shrug>

Like I said, Bubba the Love Sponge seems to be what everyone accuses
Stern of being, so I really don't understand why Stern was always the
one under fire. Maybe because he's been standing up against the
censorship more, maybe because he had a larger audience before the FCC
cracked down (or started doing crack).

George Takei was *phenomenal* as Stern's "guest announcer" the first
week. After 15 years of the show taking shots at him every chance
they could, he came in and did a week on the show. He's a big fan of
the show and was a good sport about everything. Wish they had him on
more. Stern hasn't been overly obscene, lewd, etc. - just very natural
conversation that flows well, as opposed to him having to spend 5
minutes trying to find an FCC-acceptable way to describe something
that most people would discuss at the watercooler at work.

> > the music, comedy and talk channels so far are
> > great too.
>
> We've mostly been on the music channels, but we did listen to the comedy
> channels for a while on the trip. Those are pretty good. And XM has an
> old-time radio channel where they broadcast the old drama serials from
> the pre-TV days. That's pretty cool, the only thing is you have to try
> to catch it from the start if you want to know what's going on. I'm not
> terribly interested in talk, IMHO one of the best features is that
> there's a minimum of talking over the music.

Yep, the music channels are "pure" music. Any genre you can imagine.
Not sure the old-timey radio dramas are out there on Sirius, I'll have
to look. Those could be fun on long drives.

--
Andy
http://home.rochester.rr.com/alevy/