Re: '98 LSD differential noise

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Sat Jan 28 2006 - 09:04:33 EST

On Sat, January 28, 2006 12:03 am, Mike Burgess wrote:

> Well, I've got about 75K miles on this rear axle, was
> replaced under warranty, the axle tubes were coming
> loose off the pumpkin. I'm sure I got a rebuilt one,
> it was all rusty, not factory fresh.
> What's it doing ? Glad you asked. In addition to
> the normal whine change from drive to decelerate, it's
> now started a "growling" and vibration, noticeable in
> the floorboards. Opened the diff up, changed the 90wt
> in it, added new 'friction modifier' for the LSD. Only
> saw a small amount of light metal in the bottom, all
> gears looked OK, nothing looked bad, but after putting
> it back together, its sound and vibration is
> unchanged. Braking makes no difference.
> Auto transmission seems fine, shifts normally. Sound
> seems more pronounced on right rear wheel, but all
> looks good there.
> Any ideas on what I should look at next ??

I'd be willing to bet that it's either a bearing or shimming issue. I'd take
it back to the shop that did the work, they should be responsable for
correcting any issues that have arisen.

Also, alll work done by any dealer is covered under a 12 month / 12k mile
warranty. They shouldn't give you any greif about it.

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.