Re: 4.7L Longevity?

From: Miles D. Oliver (moliver@mmoliver.org)
Date: Sat Jan 28 2006 - 09:11:25 EST

   More than half the battle on any motor is how you take care of it. A
friend who works at a dealership said that he had to put a new motor in a
honda accord after 60K because the bimbo driving it NEVER changed the oil,
and the oil broke down, started getting used up and eventually ruined the
rings and spun rod bearings. This motor could have easily run 150K + but
it was a pile of scrap due to neglect.

   I got more than 250K on an '63 old cutlass that I had with the rocket
motor. I've even got over 200K on air cooled VW motors. Sure they used
some oil but I didn't spew out a 'blue cloud' when driving down the road.

   Generally If you take care of them, change it with a good quality oil
and filter at regular intervals, make sure that they come up to proper
operating temp (short trips wreak havoc on motors and exhaust systems) you
can get a longer life out of them.

   The 4.7 seems to be a soundly designed motor so why wouldn't you expect
to get 200K out of it if it is properly taken care of. I've got 80K on my
2002 but that is almost all highway driving. I just replaced the front
brake pads for the first time at 78,000 miles and the rear shoes can
probably go till 100K.

--
  Miles D. Oliver
  www.mmoliver.org