Re: Muffler Suggestions..

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed Feb 01 2006 - 12:08:42 EST

On Tue, January 31, 2006 10:35 am, Bill Day said:

> Well, my muffler has a lot of miles on it and has started rattling pretty
> bad(internal rattle). I havent changed it sine I got the truck used, so it's
> time to replace it. w as wondering what I should replace it with. The CAT
> and all the plumbing seem to be in good shape, just a rattling muffler. Keep
> in mind this is a 3.9 Magnum single exhaust system, at least until I do my
> engine transplant. I'm not after anything "loud" or kewl, but some sort of
> sound would be alright.. Would hate for it to sound like a shit-10 or
> turd-wrangler popcorn machine.

Bill,

Your truck is a '95, isn't it? Summit sells a Dynomax 2.75" cat-back system
for $120, which is a pretty good price for everything it includes. I know you
just wanted to replace the muffler, but I thought I'd mention it.

I put one on my '95 V6 a little over three years ago, and it's looking like
I'm due for another one. The durability isn't great, but what do you want for
the price? I can buy 4 of these systems for the cost of one Gibson. If
you're doing an engine transplant soon, you might not care how long it lasts.

As for the sound, it sounds pretty decent for a V6, IMHO. The rest of the
powertrain is pretty much bone stock, so I wasn't expecting it to sound
fantastic. And it seems to have helped out in the low-end torque department
slightly, which is always welcome.

I mostly went with this system as I figured I was going to be due to replace
all the pipes soon after the muffler anyway, and the price was right. I'll be
replacing it with the exact same thing, so that'll tell you I don't have any
major complaints.