Torque converter in & out

From: clhyer@cox.net
Date: Tue Feb 07 2006 - 06:43:11 EST

Dave, Chris & Tom,
I had this same problem, except that I did not notice it when I hit a bump. I took it back and forth to three different dealers. Had one service manager ride with me with the portable device plugged in; he told me it was "normal"!
Anyhow, to make a short story long...after about a year it finally tripped the code. They replaced a govenor speed sensor switch and govenor pressure switch (iirc). I can look it up for you if you want. It was not a cheap fix; and, after about 1 year it has started doing it again.

This gets into that "reliability" issue I spoke of over the weekend. Good luck with it, at this point it is more agravating than anything else as you will just stop using the cruise control.

Cal
'99 V-6 auto, 73,000 miles.

Subject: DML: Intermittant un-lock of torque converter

When running my 99 Dakota on the hiway at 70ish mph and the cruise control
the
lock-up torque convertor will un-lock for a fraction of a second every once
in
awhile. It only seemed to happen when the cruise was on and I figured it was
one of those things that was on the ragged edge and the computer didn't know
what to do.

Well over the week end there was some traffic on the hiway so I wasn't using
the cruise and noticed that if I hit a good bump in the road (expansion
joint
or the like) it would drop out then too.

It's only for a fraction of a second and the rpm will jump maybe a 150rpm
before it locks back up.

Besides looking for a loose connection anyone have any hits on what it might
be? There are no codes and the tranny shifts fine otherwise and is full of
ATF+4.

Thanks,

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4