Re: Torque converter in & out

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Feb 07 2006 - 10:00:17 EST

clhyer@cox.net wrote:
> Dave, Chris & Tom,
> I had this same problem, except that I did not notice it when I hit a bump. I took it back and forth to three different dealers. Had one service manager ride with me with the portable device plugged in; he told me it was "normal"!
> Anyhow, to make a short story long...after about a year it finally tripped the code. They replaced a govenor speed sensor switch and govenor pressure switch (iirc). I can look it up for you if you want. It was not a cheap fix; and, after about 1 year it has started doing it again.
>
> This gets into that "reliability" issue I spoke of over the weekend. Good luck with it, at this point it is more agravating than anything else as you will just stop using the cruise control.
>
> Cal
> '99 V-6 auto, 73,000 miles.

For some odd reason Mozilla sent my replies from my defunked Earthlink
account - weird... anyway...

Thats some good info there thanks. I wish I knew for sure what it is...
  Dave - did you have the same problem as Chris and I... with the
"slipping" when hitting a bump? Did any of you guys have a noise from
the transmission at idle?

The fact it happened when there is a bump suggests something is loose or
under enough movement when jarred... that it causes a momentary RPM
blip. I would almost say it was a throttle kickdown rod - except
kickdown rods havn't been used in these trucks since they went magnum (I
think. I had that problem with Christine and her kickdown linkage. I
had a worn out return spring on the TBI and the transmission would keep
downshifting on its own when the kickdown rod was knocked around on the
highway. Hmmmmm - - I wonder if its possible something similar happens
with ours... I can't try and solve this problem for a while as the Ram
is garaged for the remainder of the winter and its off insurance too.

I still suspect a Torque Converter because if the noise I hear from my
tranny at idle however...

Rocks are for skipping... I'm all about the mud
75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4,
95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'