Sick 45RFE

From: Jim Nelson (jnelson8@satx.rr.com)
Date: Fri Feb 10 2006 - 19:37:22 EST

2000 QC 4.7 45RFE 85,000 miles.
Been in lurk mode for a while, not much happening on my end until yesterday.
Yesterday on the way to work the transmission started to slip. Only time I
have had a problem. Did not get a check engine light so I decided I would
just baby it back home that evening and investigate back at the house. No
dice. When I got in it to go home I had no gears, reverse, low, 2nd or
drive, nothing. Check engine light came on. Checked the fluid- full and
still quite red, synthetic since the first change. Left it till this
morning and had it towed to a local shop I trust. Tow truck didn't show
until 11:30 because they were chasing all the accidents from the damp
weather we had this morning, got to love drivers in South Texas on rain
slick roads. Don't even get them on icy roads. Anyway, check engine light
triggered six codes don't remember which ones at this point. After
investigating I'm being told 3rd and 4th are out. Need to rebuild or
replace with reman unit. Rebuilt is about $2500 Reman $3300 installed. I
looked at Jasper and a reman runs $2100 just for the transmission. Any
suggestions? These prices seem high?

Jim Nelson
San Antonio

.